Ready for the Next Earthquake? Remember your contacts lenses, solutions and eyeglasses!
Earthquake! Are you prepared? In the Bay Area, we are prone to earthquakes. Just last week, there were two(!) 3.4 quakes in Berkeley. While a 3.4 is classified as minor on the magnitude scale, the quake was still felt throughout the Bay Area. Today’s Self-Care Challenge is to set up a disaster kit and prepare yourself for the next “big” earthquake.
We know preparing for the next emergency or disaster may be overwhelming but simply follow the easy steps below and you will be pro when the next earthquake hits.
The 4 Easy Steps
1) Disaster Supply Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlight, plus Extra Batteries
- Food (non-perishable easy-to-prepare items)
- A multi-purpose tool like a swiss army knife
- Toilet Paper
- Small garbage bags for your trash
- Eyeglasses (Always good to have an extra pair)
- Contacts lenses, Contact Solution, and Contact Case
- Important documents like your passport
- N95 Dust Mask
- Charger for your phone (A portable back up charger for your phone)
- Warm Clothes,
- Sturdy Shoes
- Cash (In Small Bills)
2) A family contact outside of your area who will not be affected by the local disaster
It’smart to keep a hard copy of important contacts so if cell towers are down you can still make a call on a landing
3) Set up a Meeting Spot
Whether you live alone, with family or roommates, it’s a good idea to set up a designated meet-up location outside of your home.
4) Identify a Safe Spot to Protect yourself during an Earthquake
At home identify the best places to duck and cover in each room. If you can, do this exercise at your workplace.
Follow us on Instagram or Facebook to learn more self-care tips. Throughout this whole month, we’ll be sharing self-care challenges and advice for a better tomorrow.